Friday, May 8, 2009

A beautiful pattern...

In Seminary today we were studying Rev2-3. In those chapters the John tells of the Lord's chastisement of the 7 churches in Asia. We discussed what they were doing wrong and why they were chastised by the Lord. But then I was able to show my class the pattern and example set by the Savior. After identifying himself and stating his authority, he then told them all the things that they were doing right. It was after expressing his pleasure in what they were doing right that he then talked to them about what they were doing incorrectly or wrong, or what they could do better or improve upon. And He didn't just leave it at that, he then told them what they needed to do and how to do it, and finally he told them of the blessings that awaited those who follow His counsel. This is such an awesome pattern for parents, spouses, leaders, employers, family members, friends to use as we work with others. How different things would be if we followed this pattern!!! First, "I'm your mother(friend, sweetheart, etc) and I love you. Then if we were to say..."I really like the way you do (whatever), you make me happy or proud when you(?), etc BEFORE we offer up anything else. Hearts wouldn't be wounded and people would not go on the defensive so quickly. After sincere and honest praise or affirmation is given then we can say things like..."I've noticed that (blah, blah, blah)"..."Have you ever thought of doing (?)" or "what can I do to help you with that problem" etc...AND THEN AGAIN, show forth that great love. I just love the scriptures...I love knowing that they hold all the answers. And I know how hard it is for young mothers ( and even us older moms) to deal with all of the daily "stuff " in a calm and rational manner since from minute to minute we seem to be on the firing line!! But it would be even harder if we had never been given the pattern!! He loves us and will never leave us alone...we just have to remember that He is there!!! The Gospel is true!!! My heart is full of thanks for that knowledge! Love to all of you...

3 comments:

  1. That's great advice and we all could use it! I'm going to try and use this wonderful advice! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom! I too love how we can learn all of the answers to life's questions though the scriptures. Thank you for sharing I think I'm gonna copy this to my journal so I always have it (if that's okay). This really is wonderful advice! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice as always Mom! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete